Sunday, April 19, 2020

Graphic Novels

Last year about this time I visited my friend, Chelsie who lives in northeast Michigan. We live about 4+ hours apart, so I only make it up there 2-3 times a year if the weather holds up. We made our usual trip to Barnes & Noble and spent a few hours browsing and reading. I'd gotten married only a month before this trip, so this was the first time our husbands, also avid readers, joined us! Instead of starting at the front and slowly making our way back, Chelsie hurried off in search of the graphic novels. When I asked what was going on, she responded by telling me she comes by every so often to buy graphic novel versions of the classics: Shakespeare, Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, etc. She then told me about her students who can't make it through word heavy classics but devoured the story when it was put in graphic novel form. I was amazed at her genius, as I frequently am.

I think Chelsie's students are proof that graphic novels have an important place in our library collections, for teens and adults. Ultimately, we read books for the story. Our purpose is to get the story to the patron. Why should the mode it's delivered make the story any less important? Graphic novels are written to make stories more approachable. The concepts, the plots, the character interactions will all still be there. Teenage boys WANTING to read Jane Austen. That's a win for graphic novels in my book!

3 comments:

  1. Bravo, Chelsie! I've tried to read Pride & Prejudice numerous times but it just isn't for me. However, I adore the movie adaptations! I will have to see if there's a graphic novel version out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was on the board of a school foundation for many years and chaired the grant committee and one of our most successful programs was a middle school graphic novel club for middle school age students. They got a handful of high-interest, low ability books for the kids and read them as a book club would and then also built up the graphic novel collection in the library and those students raised their test scores more than those who didn't participate. I think they're a great tool for reaching reluctant and/or low-ability readers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used a graphic novel adaptation of Frankenstein for the One State, One Story initiative a few years ago an the teens ATE IT UP! Full points!

    ReplyDelete