Wednesday, January 29, 2020

RA Q&A

I am looking for a book by Laurell K. Hamilton. I just read the third book in the Anita Blake series and I can’t figure out which one comes next!

The fourth book in the Anita Blake series is called The Lunatic Cafe. I would suggest using Goodreads in the future. The site is very user friendly, especially for finding a book in a series when you don't know the title. 

2. What have I read recently? Well, I just finished this great book by Barbara Kingsolver, Prodigal Summer. I really liked the way it was written, you know, the way she used language. I wouldn't mind something a bit faster paced though.


I would suggest The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michelle Richardson. It is an engaging read with a strong, adventurous heroine and is based in Appalachia, which is a similar setting to Prodigal Summer. Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens is another option. There are ecological themes similar to Prodigal Summer. I would also suggest finding another book by Kingsolver, called The Poisonwood Bible or checking out books by Courtney J. Sullivan, William Faulkner, or Joanna Trollope, who have similar writing styles to Kingsolver.

3. I like reading books set in different countries. I just read one set in China, could you help me find one set in Japan? No, not modern – historical. I like it when the author describes it so much it feels like I was there!


Silence by Endo Shusaku was the first book that came to mind when you described what you're looking for. It's definitely historical, written in 1969 but based in the 17th century. The story follows a missionary in Japan who battles with religious persecution. In 2016 it was made into a movie directed by Martin Scorsese and starring Liam Neeson, Adam Driver, and Andrew Garfield.


Another option would be The Bridge Over the River Kwai (1954) by Pierre Boulle. I would also suggest Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. It was written in 2005 but the story itself is historical. 



4. I read this great mystery by Elizabeth George called Well-Schooled in Murder and I loved it. Then my dentist said that if I liked mysteries I would probably like John Sandford, but boy was he creepy I couldn't finish it! Do you have any suggestions?



Well-Schooled in Murder is actually the third in a series by George. I would suggest trying the first two books in the Thomas Lynley series, A Great Deliverance (1988) and Payment in Blood (1989). There are a total of 20 books in the Lynley series, the newest out in 2018! 


I would also suggest checking out books by P.D. James, Louise Penny, or for something more modern, Jane Harper. P.D. James writes mysteries with a bit of a darker side, like George. Penny and Harper write very complex mystery stories. I personally love Jane Harper and would recommend starting with The Dry or The Lost Man. Another personal recommendation of mine would be titles by Anthony Horowitz. His Daniel Hawthorne series is darker with a bit of an Agatha Christie vibe. The Word is Murder is the first title.



5. My husband has really gotten into zombies lately. He’s already read The Walking Dead and World War Z, is there anything else you can recommend?



I would suggest the Illuminae Files series by Amie Kaufman. It's a futuristic story with some science fiction aspects but zombie-like creatures play a role. The book is written in emails and chats, so it's a unique format. 


If he doesn't mind a romantic aspect to the story, Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion or Pride and Prejudice and Zombies are both good options. Both were made into movie adaptations as well!



6. I love books that get turned into movies, especially literary ones. Can you recommend some? Nothing too old, maybe just those from the last 5 years or so.

There are SO many great choices! The Rhythm Section by Mark Burnell was made into a movie that is currently in theaters starring Blake Lively. The Call of the Wild will be in theaters in February starring Harrison Ford. I would also recommend The Best of Enemies: Race and Redemption in the New South if you're looking for a book based on a true story. 


My personal recommendations would be Little Women by Louisa May Alcott, movie currently in theaters starring Emma Watson, The Martian by Andy Weir, movie starring Matt Damon, and Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.



7. I love thrillers but I hate foul language and sex scenes. I want something clean and fast paced.



I would suggest reading a book by Mary Higgins Clark. Alexander McCall Smith's No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency would be another option for you. My personal recommendation would be Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express, And Then There Were None, or Death on the Nile. I would also suggest novels by Ruth Ware, such as The Girl in Cabin 10 or The Turn of the Key for something more modern.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent recommendations! Beyond your own expertise did you use any online tools to aid you? Full points!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used NoveList for most of these, actually! I'm so glad it was brought to my attention because I find it extremely useful. I used Goodreads as well!

      Delete