Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Finding Books

As an avid reader, I am continually surprised at how green of a searcher I still am. NoveList has been just a click away on my work home page for MONTHS (years if you count how long I've been a patron) and I STILL didn't know about it. Thankfully, I've been a daily Goodreads visitor, which is a sure fire way to find new books to read that I stand behind, despite NoveList's unplanned appearance in my life. There are monthly lists with cover art showing books being released. I know I know...I'm a sucker for catching cover art but that isn't the only reason a book gets my attention, I promise.

The Lists feature is also a useful tool on Goodreads. There are user created lists for broad topics such as genres or age groups, but there are also specific lists such as "Most Interesting World," "Books Everyone Should Read at Least Once," and "Books About Video Games and Virtual Reality." These really help narrow down a search for someone who has no idea what they want to read next!

3 comments:

  1. Very similar style to how we find what to read. I shouldn't admit it, but the Kirkus arrives like clockwork on my desk, and I would never say that's how I find my next read. Lots of Goodreads, lots of Amazon bestseller searching, mainly word of mouth, recommendations, and from reading the tiny blurbs in my ordering catalogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love the list feature on Goodreads, and found myself turning to it repeatedly during this weeks prompt assignment. Even beyond the list of lists that pops up when you select "lists" on the menu, typing in my own terms always yielded even more lists that met my needs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a huge goodreads fan myself. I can always find something! The lists feature is also great!

    ReplyDelete