Thursday, January 30, 2020

The Lost Man


Synopsis:

Generations have grown up with the mystical tale of the Stockman's grave but no one actually knows who is buried there or how he met his untimely demise. The childhood tale suddenly becomes real for the Bright family when a body is found in front of the grave.

Nathan Bright is the oldest of three brothers who have all grown up in the rough conditions and harsh labor that comes with living and running a station in the Queensland outback. A loner and outcast, Nathan lives with his past decisions on his own station several miles from the family land where he grew up. When middle brother, Cameron is found dead next to the Stockman's grave, Nathan suddenly has to be a part of the family again and all the toxicity that comes along with it. Despite evidence to the contrary, Cameron's death is ruled an accident. Nathan knows something else is going on but should he go digging for answers? Or should what really happened remain buried under the Stockman's grave?

Suspense Characteristics:

Dark menacing atmosphere: The story kicks off with a heavy and dark atmosphere with the death of Cameron Bright. His body is found by his two brothers, Nathan and Bub. Bub was supposed to meet Cameron the night before his death but never showed. His answer as to his whereabouts is shaky and very suspicious. The reader has their first suspect within the first few pages.

Soft-edge vs. Hard-edge: The Lost Man would be considered a soft-edge suspense novel. Harper focuses on developing a sense of place, character building, and background knowledge.

Pace: The book begins with action: the death of Cameron Bright and the consequences to the family. The story goes back and forth between past and present, filling in the gaps of the story. The reader learns that first impressions aren't always right, even going as far as to cast suspicion on each character in turn. The toxic family dynamic creates a low hum of stress and anxiety, which adds to the slow burn and build of the plot. The how and why of Cameron's demise is finally revealed, leaving the reader surprised despite the intricate character building.

Empathy: The reader learns early on that Nathan Bright has had a difficult few years and can empathize with him, despite the fact that his troubles were brought on by his past actions and decisions. He is a likeable guy, who has his family's best interests at heart. His interactions with his son, Zander, also endear him to the reader.

Personal side note: I listened to The Lost Man on audio and it was extremely well done! Steven Shanahan has narrated all three of Harper's books. It really adds to the experience that he's an Australian narrator!

Read-alikes:

See the source image                                                        

See the source image

See the source image

11 comments:

  1. I love a good mystery! I just finished Where the Crawdads Sing. This actually sounds like a much more interesting read to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great, Shannon! I highly recommend it! I have liked all three of her books, to be honest. I wish she had more!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved that you included your personal note/comment about the audiobook you enjoyed. It makes sense to think that thriller and suspense books could be very enjoyable by being told through an engaging reader. I think adding personal notes like this during readers' advisory conversations is a great way to connect. I also liked your annotation, how you tied specific parts of the book with key elements of suspense. I also like how you included book covers; I did this as well, and I personally find it more engaging if pictures are included!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very intrigued with the idea of a brother being a suspect so soon into the story. A key element of suspense! I've never heard of this author, but I know patrons who would love this. Your highlights of the empathy in Nathan show exactly why I would want to read this; I love a good back story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, definitely putting this one on my list! I love that the action starts in the first few pages, even though you categorized this work as soft-paced. Sometimes it's fun to read something where the intrigue and action bubbles beneath the surface instead of being very in your face. I am interested in the family dynamic of the story as well. It's not enough that a murder took place, the family has to be toxic as well. Very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like the book that I annotated for this assignment, the characterization features a protagonist who is reluctant to become involved in the situation. I think this adds another element of interest to the suspense novel, and I wonder if it a regularly used aspect of the "haunted hero" character discussed in chapter 1.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you were able to have a good experience with the audiobook. In my experience, the choice of narrator is extremely important and can make or break a recording. I don't listen to many audiobooks because the narrator's take on a line reading or character voice could be very different than how I would read it and those affect the experience. Still, with a good narrator, you can get a good "reading" experience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this book and I think you have done a great job with your annotation. As a reader you certainly start eyeing suspects right away! Have you read The Dry or Force of Nature by Harper? They are good too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer! I have read both and loved them!

      Delete
  9. Fantastic annotation! Full points! You did a superb job detailing all the characteristics. This book sounds excellent and I think you convinced quite a few classmates to check it out. Great work!

    ReplyDelete